AGM <span class="highlight">Battery</span> Questions

Submitted: Sunday, May 06, 2007 at 04:22
ThreadID: 45139 Views:2305 Replies:6 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Gday to you All

I have a current model 100S TD. The factory fitted batteries are isolated with the Shurepower Isolater from ARB.

What is now the starting battery (passenger side) has recently been replaced with a Century/Yuasa Overlander.

It is now time to replace the Aux battery (drivers side) and I am considering an AGM.

I have read on previous posts about the problem of charging different types of batteries in parallel and that some Isolators remove this problem.

Does my Shurepower Isolator remove this problem?
Is there a temperature issue with an AGM battery in the engine bay of a 100S TD?

Also, I would like to hear any reports, especially regarding reliability etc, on FullRiver v Absorbed Power and/or any other of the better brands. I am looking at 90 or even 100amp/hr if it will fit.

Any recommended suppliers/prices in Perth?

Thanks and Regards
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Sunday, May 06, 2007 at 09:43

Sunday, May 06, 2007 at 09:43
You should have no problem in mixing battery types Bushie.

Surepower claim on their website that the Surepower Isolator "isolates each battery circuit and allows each battery to discharge and charge according to its own needs".

This is the function of all "smart" isolators and the Surepower should be no different in that regards.

As far as the brand of AGM battery, the only comment I can make is that it probably gets down to the price you can buy one for, rather than the actual brand name.

Just compare the stats on the different ones you mention and check the physical "footprint" size, (length, width, height) for the capacity size you are considering, to ensure it will fit in your cradle.
AGM batteries (for a given A/h capacity) are generally physically bigger than a "wet cell" equivalent.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 238180

Follow Up By: Mainey (WA) - Sunday, May 06, 2007 at 19:48

Sunday, May 06, 2007 at 19:48
Some if not all low priced brands of "smart" (solenoid) isolators mentioned below, do NOT "isolate each battery circuit and allow each battery to discharge & charge according to its own needs" as is advertised by the Surepower system.

The "smart" only refers to the electrics separating the batteries automatically when the Cranker gets too low in voltage and has nothing at all to do with separately or individually charging each battery.

The Surepower claim that they "isolates each battery circuit and allows each battery to discharge and charge according to its own needs" is a hell of a lot different to a "smart" (solenoid) isolator that has to charge BOTH batteries together as they are connected in parallel by the "smart" (solenoid) isolator.
FollowupID: 499354

Reply By: WA Joe - Sunday, May 06, 2007 at 10:04

Sunday, May 06, 2007 at 10:04
Challenge Batteries in Osborne Park are worth talking to, I have found them to probably be the most customer orientated business I've dealt with and I'm yet to see anyone beat there prices. Their back up service is second to none. Its a family run business, Graham and Chris (father & son).
I have never met them, do not know them, not related to them just a more than satisfied customer.
Joe.
AnswerID: 238184

Follow Up By: Mainey (WA) - Sunday, May 06, 2007 at 20:06

Sunday, May 06, 2007 at 20:06
I also recommend Challenge batteries as I have dealt with them for a number of years and obviously know both Graham & Chris, so yes I've met them, but not related....

In the Southern suburbs I can recommend a company that has equal excellence in service and credibility however offer a much larger range of batteries, and I'm not related to them either.

It's just a matter of who sells what type of battery that you believe will do the job the best for you at the best price, and lets face it, when you last walked into a battery store did you ask for their opinion or did you tell them you want the best price on “woteva” battery… L0L
FollowupID: 499357

Reply By: Derek from Affordable Batteries & Radiators - Sunday, May 06, 2007 at 10:29

Sunday, May 06, 2007 at 10:29
Hi Old Bushie

First of all ARB use a solenoid they have not got into advanced battery isolation yet.

You will have one of these fitted.

It is a voltage sensing solenoid. Just like a redarc. The contacts are rated at 85amps. We have done a fair bit of testing on isolators and give these only a 4 star rating not 5 star like others, mainly because of the voltage drop and the fact that it is not microprocessor controlled. (I have started rating products on my site.)

Your AGM will charge under the solenoid system but as it is being charged via the main battery it will take longer and not get the full 14+ volts required for 100% charging. I would use a 240V mains charger after every trip to keep it from building up sulfation.

100 a/h AGM will fit in to space as I have done this a few times already. You will need a longer J bolt and fit a spacer under the bracket at the front as the 100 a/h is 12mm higher than a standard N70.

If you look at my picture below you will see the 100 a/h sits a bit higher than normal.

Regards

Derek.
AnswerID: 238189

Reply By: _gmd_pps - Sunday, May 06, 2007 at 11:27

Sunday, May 06, 2007 at 11:27
all simple voltage sensing isolators are pretty much the same and DO NOT take the battery type into consideration .. Most alternators deliver past 14V (Landcruiser 100 V8 does 13.6 and is better ) and will cook AGM's when they are full ...

www.yandina.com/c150Info.htm

above is the only "simple" Isolator combiner which takes that into account ..
the pin HiVolt is meant to be connected to the AGM plus and disconnects when full ...

there are other solutions but this is the easiest .. I have two of these in my boat
there is a smaller version which is probably sufficient for a jap 4by ...

have fun
gmd
AnswerID: 238194

Reply By: Old Bushie - Monday, May 07, 2007 at 17:00

Monday, May 07, 2007 at 17:00
Gday again

Thanks to you all for the informative replies. Your experience is appreciated along with all the info I have since found via the forum search (head spins!!!!).

I have used Challenge Batteries in the past and endorse your comments.

Mainey, could you provide contact details for the southern suburbs supplier you mentioned?

Derek, I do have the Shurepower Isolator you pictured. Re your advice quote:
"Your AGM will charge under the solenoid system but as it is being charged via the main battery it will take longer and not get the full 14+ volts required for 100% charging."

Am I correct in assuming this statement is also true of my current conventional battery and I would still gain the "relative" decrease in charging time that an AGM battery provides or will I only get a decrease in charging time by upgrading my Isolator?

Re brands available, after 35 years of remote outback travel, I have learned the hard way cheapest ain't always best. I am very happy to pay for quality and reliability. FullRiver seems to get mentioned a lot without adverse comment. I am interested in other brands, if from users experience, they are considered superior. eg Absorbed Power that I believe are used in some better quality boats. Does anyone know what brand Bushtracker caravans use?

A comment in post 25021 by Collyn R seems very relevant to my questions and maybe useful to others who haven't seen it quote:

Since then however, Redarc and other similar voltage sensing relays have gained wide acceptance. As long as one of these delays paralleling until the starter battery reaches about 13.6 or so volts, there seem no major problems in parallel charging and thousands of people now do so.

There is next to no risk of charging an AGM at too high a rate - they will withstand substantial input currents."

Again, thanks for the replies.
Regards

AnswerID: 238407

Follow Up By: Derek from Affordable Batteries & Radiators - Monday, May 07, 2007 at 19:04

Monday, May 07, 2007 at 19:04
Hi Old Bushie

The AGM will charge faster then the conventional battery and you will decrease charge time and get a better total charge by upgrading the isolator yes.

The only problem with voltage sensing relays is that they cut in too soon and they will allow a heavily discharged aux battery to pull the main battery down and if the engine is not run for a reasonable amount of time the main battery could be worse off. You may have heard your isolator kicking in and out when this happens.

Regards

Derek.

FollowupID: 499525

Follow Up By: Mainey (WA) - Tuesday, May 08, 2007 at 23:00

Tuesday, May 08, 2007 at 23:00
Bushie, 'invest' in an electronic system from Rotronics.....

The name an address etc from South of the River I will place tomorrow, after I ask permission to place their information here, they are direct importers of various batteries.
I presently use AGM batteries they have supplied, and I could have used Fullriver but...
FollowupID: 499763

Follow Up By: Mainey (WA) - Saturday, May 12, 2007 at 11:07

Saturday, May 12, 2007 at 11:07
Old Bushie-> "Mainey, could you provide contact details for the southern suburbs supplier you mentioned"

Sorry about the delay in posting the contact details !!
I’ve left the cool/wet weather of the South West and I'm presently just north of Geraldton...

Link is: www.goodchild.com.au/batteries_fmset.htm
FollowupID: 500491

Follow Up By: Mainey (WA) - Saturday, May 12, 2007 at 11:20

Saturday, May 12, 2007 at 11:20
I've just looked and the AGM DC battery range I use is not mentioned on the link I have posted, contact them for further information.

Link: www.goodchild.com.au/cp_fmset.htm
FollowupID: 500493

Reply By: Old Bushie - Monday, May 21, 2007 at 00:11

Monday, May 21, 2007 at 00:11
Thanks Mainey

Apologies for the delay in replying. I too have not been very far north of Geraldton fishing for the last 10 days.

I will follow up your link.

Many thanks to all of you for the informative replies.

Regards
AnswerID: 241320

Sponsored Links